Monday 9 July 2012

Review: Bobbi Brown Extra Repair Foundation and Tinted Moisturiser

Here's the review in a nutshell - these products are amazing.

Basically, the Extra Repair range is geared specifically towards those with dry to very dry skin - so if you don't have dry skin, then these products aren't for you. And if you have only slightly dry skin, you might find these products too creamy and thick, and might result in an overly dewy or even oily finish - you might be better off trying something like the Bobbi Brown Luminous Moisturising Foundation/Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturiser.

FOUNDATION

Let's start with the foundation: as with all Bobbi Brown foundations, it's yellow based. This means it will definitely work well with warm complexions, and there's an impressive shade range so you'll likely find your match. For neutral tones it will lend a natural healthy glow, but cooler tones may find it difficult to get a true match. I'm very warm toned and the shade Honey is perfect for me - literally melts into my skin imperceptibly.



The foundation has medium/buildable coverage, although you will never achieve completely full coverage. I have minor blemishes and redness - and this covers them up perfectly. However, I also have a dark scar area on my chin which it doesn't cover completely. I don't mind - I think this level of coverage gives a lovely natural, your-skin-but-better look. It also fits in with Bobbi Brown's ethos - she's always been a big champion of conceal what you need to, then use the minimum amount of foundation you need to smooth skin and even out skin tone. It also gives a dewy, natural finish.

It comes in a pot, and is super thick and creamy. The consistency is so much thicker than any other foundation I've tried - like a really luxurious night cream.The packaging is great, because I just use what I need (I find with my Mac Studio Sculpt foundation, I always accidentally squeeze out more). I dip my stippling brush into it, then apply over my face (stippling on and then buffing it in). I clean my brush in between uses and don't double dip, so it's pretty hygienic.

My skin is incredibly dry and with my Mac foundation (which is pretty moisturising) I find it need to top it up during the day - basically take it off, moisturise my skin and reapply. However, I can go all day with this Bobbi Brown one and feel no need to reapply. My skin feels perfectly hydrated for about 4/5 hours, after that it feels a little dry but not bad at all, and not uncomfortable. I'm sure most people have less dry skin than me, and this will work perfectly for them.

I've found it be incredibly longwearing on me - but then, dry skin always clings on to foundation more so other people may have a different experience. I can wear it for 12 hours with no fading at all, and only some minor creasing in the under eye area after 10 hours.

My bare skin - as you can see, dryness and redness and some hyperpigmentation:



A light layer of Bobbi Brown Extra Repair Foundation - some redness and hyperpigmentation still visible:


A second layer - flawless, natural skin:


It's £36 for 30ml, which may seem very steep, but it will last for ages. I use a teeny tiny amount (probably the size of 2 peas) for my face, neck and decolletage, so this will last for a long time! In comparison, my Mac foundation was £24 for 40ml, but I kept squeezing out too much and I needed more anyway, and it's almost finished after 2 months of wearing it almost everyday. I reckon the Bobbi Brown one will last a lot longer than that.

Also, it has SPF25 if you need that kind of thing.

TINTED MOISTURISER

Tinted Moisturisers are very lightweight foundations, that are also hydrating - and as you can probably guess, this is super hydrating. I still need to moisturise beforehand, but I imagine the vast majority of you won't.


As you can see, I've been showing mine a lot of love!

This is the perfect lightweight option for summer. The coverage is very sheer with a dewy finish, as it is designed to be, and this would be perfect for someone with minor skin problems, looking to even out their skin tone. The shade range is not as impressive as the foundation, but the coverage is so sheer that it doesn't matter. I have the Light tint, but I think I should be Light to Medium Tint.

It glides onto the skin so perfectly, I find the best application method is a finger. The consistency is a little less thick and creamy than the foundation. It is not as longwearing as the foundation on me, probably because of it's moisturising properties and slick consistency. It still lasts a good 6 hours though. And, this also has SPF 25.

It's £34 for 30ml, and I feel this is not as good value as the foundation, as I tend to use more of this each time. However, if you have very dry skin, this is probably the only product on the market (that I've seen anyway) that will cater to your needs.

THE VERDICT

If you have very dry skin, these products will be lifesavers to you. There is nothing else this creamy and hydrating anywhere - plus they are longwearing, with a natural finish and easy application. If your skin is only a bit dry, or moderately dry but you feel other products offer enough hydration, then you might want to look for something at a lower price point, as it would be untrue to say they are excellent value.

I have really dry skin and I absolutely love them, and I'm already coveting other products in the range!




2 comments:

  1. Ive never tried Bobbi Brown stuff before but one of their foundations is on my ever-expanding 'to try' list haha.

    My FOTD look will be with you before the end of the week hun, Ive had the cold all weekend so I look too rubbish to do it atm! xox

    My Style Blog : The Style Khaleesi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I would really recommend them, they're one of my favourite brands :) And no worries! I'll get mine to you within the next few days too :) Hope you get well soon! x x x

    ReplyDelete